Private TSI Test Prep Houston
Not located in Greater Houston area? Please visit our Locations page to see all our national tutoring locations for in-person tutoring. We also offer online tutoring worldwide.
If you are applying to certain colleges or universities, they may require you to take the TSI Assessment or the Texas Success Initiative. Suprex Learning offers the best TSI test prep in Houston with certified instructors who can help you perform well on the TSI test. Our program includes a practice workbook and diagnostic practice TSI exam(s), along with one-on-one or small group instruction designed to familiarize you with the test format and improve your performance on the TSI. Using a mixture of direct instruction, activity-based learning, and test strategies, you will gain confidence in test taking while learning the topics covered on the TSI. Suprex test prep instructors will work strategically to help students actively read passages, understand grammar rules, identify key words in problem solving questions, and write a clear and concise essay.
After taking a diagnostic TSI Prep Houston exam, your TSI test prep instructor will meet with you to analyze the results and design an individualized test prep program, focusing on your specific strengths and weaknesses. For example, if you score low in the Geometry section of the TSI Math Concepts test, the instructor may suggest three or four hours of intensive work in that area, including hands-on instructional activities designed to strengthen your understanding of plane geometry, transformations and symmetry, linear, area and 3D measurements tested on the TSI. Each session will include a variety of techniques which may include grammar activities and memory strategies and practice on test level examples, allowing students to practice using strategies that will help them on the TSI. For the TSI essay section, you may learn to brainstorm ideas, choose varied examples, and organize a five-paragraph thesis in preparation to writing a clear and concise thesis-style essay. Additionally, our instructors can provide regular updates on your academic progress, using practice exams given at the halfway point and at the end of the test prep program. Finally, you may be given homework so you can continue to practice on test questions at home, internalizing the test-taking strategies that you have learned in class.
Best Qualified Tutors
The goal of the our TSI Test Prep program is for your student to master each possible topic in the math and verbal section and be able to effectively write an essay. As your student learns and masters each topic, it will be recorded in our online TSI program which will ensure that you receive the best TSI Test Prep experience.
Sections Covered in Tutoring:
- Reading comprehension
Lesson plans are always flexible according to students’ needs. Our lessons are lecture based and comprises of working on problems on a white board, interactive practice online, and practicing questions out of the best TSI Test Prep Book on the market. We prioritize our lesson plan based on the students’ performance on the initial proctored Mock TSI. We look at what topics and areas he/she scored lowest in and schedule the sessions accordingly. Topics that the student performed below 80% require immediate attention and topics that were above 80% will still be covered in later lessons. Our Houston TSI test prep instructors will do their best to address all topics within the time frame given before the actual test.
Some Techniques We May Cover
Essay essentials –
The four-step writing process
Stressing voice and content over perfect grammar
Avoiding common writing mistakes
Reading Comprehension time management –
Builder Method (Questions first, then passage)
Test Prep Method (Passage first, then questions)
Sentence Completion tips and tricks –
Breaking down tough sentences
Working around unfamiliar vocabulary
Avoiding test traps
Working around difficult vocabulary
Managing time effectively for each section of test
Homework may be assigned to student after every lesson. Student will be requested to complete different sections in the Prep Book, memorize vocabulary words, and/or take a diagnostic test.
Private TSI Tutoring Houston
We will prepare your student for the math part of the TSI test following the units below. All of these units can be covered dependent upon the needs of your student and how long you have to prepare for your TSI test.
TSI Test Prep Math
- Linear equations, inequalities and systems
- Algebraic expressions and equations
- Word problems and applications
- Quadratic and other polynomial expressions, equations and functions
- Expressions, equations and functions involving powers, roots and radicals
- Rational and exponential expressions, equations and functions
- Plane geometry
- Transformations and symmetry
- Linear, area and 3D measurements
- Interpreting categorical and quantitative data
- Statistical measures
- Probabilistic reasoning
TSI Test Prep Reading
- Identifying and analyzing ideas in and elements of literary texts
- Identifying the main idea of a passage
- Comprehending explicit textual information in a passage
- Synthesizing ideas by making a connection or comparison between 2 passages
- Making inferences about single passages
- Identifying author’s purpose, tone and organization or rhetorical strategies and use of evidence
- Determining the meaning of words in context
TSI Test Prep Writing
- Coherence, organization and word choice.
- Rhetorical effectiveness and use of evidence
- Subject-verb agreement
- Pronoun agreement
- Verb tense
- Comma splices and run-on sentences
- Improper punctuation
- Fragments and parallelism
- Subordination and coordination
- Correct placement of modifying phrase and clauses
- The use of logical transitions
Overview of the TSI Test
The TSI is a standardized test made up of a series of multiple-choice questions and a writing sample that measures your understanding of verbal and mathematics concepts. The TSI is divided into 4 sections:
- Mathematics Assessment 20 questions
- Reading Assessment 24 questions
- Writing Assessment 20 Questions
- Essay Section 1 Essay Question
The College Board has Sample TSI Questions available here: